how to convert packed decimal to numeric in cobol

Beware, I haven't run this through a compiler! Why is comp-2 mentioned? Now we need to drop into our package a Flat File Source, an OLEDB Destination Move LOW-VALUES to the first byte of the 2-bytes variable. How to convert Python variables into equivalent cobol group variables? Refer to To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. This represents a number +6150000 with picture clause of S9(7) COMP-3. This link requires an Internet Connection. 18 digits requires 9 bytes, the sign is the low nybble of the low order byte. V is the decimal position Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Refer to the SSIS pipeline to handle the input data in binary format. If so, how close was it? At the end of the exercise variable Y contains something that is readable and makes sense to the normal human eye. Thats it! The following is the WORKING-STORAGE definition for the source field. This link requires an Internet Connection. Difference between "select-editor" and "update-alternatives --config editor". The Result field is also defined with a SIGN TRAILING SEPARATE that creates an additional byte to the field for the sign. 02 FIELD1-PCK PIC 9(08)V99 COMP-3. Some names and products listed are the registered trademarks of their respective owners. The next step is to create a SSIS project and add a Data Flow task, a Flat File First we are going to create a sample database. Use the language as it was intended to be used. 02 AGE-OUT PIC X(3). IF THERE IS ANY OTHER METHOD TO ADD ONE TO THE 1OTH DIGIT OF VALUE IN A PACKED DECIMAL FIELD WITHOUT CONVERTING IT INTO NUMERIC. When you write a packed field to a WORK file, the output record will contain the field in packed format. Negative zero behaves the same as positive zero computationally. Packed Decimal Data. 02 TRANS-OUT PIC X(4). Processors such as the IBM 370 family, the PDP-10, the Motorola microprocessor family, and most of the various RISC architectures are big-endian. There is nothing in the file to help you identify where it is or if it even exists. I think the problem are in this columns : Actually Im usingbyte stream [DT_BYTES] format in flat file source andnumeric [DT_NUMERIC] in script component. Software Agreement and Disclaimer. 02 CONVAL1-OUT PIC S9(13)V9(2) COMP-3. How would "dark matter", subject only to gravity, behave? Note: The latest versions of the SimoTime Documents and Program Suites are available on the Internet and may be accessed using the icon. Packed Decimal Data. Euler: A baby on his lap, a cat on his back thats how he wrote his immortal works (origin?). The intent is to provide changes as the need arises and in a timeframe that is dependent upon the availability of resources. It is implemented as "comp-3". So the comp-3 field of size 4 bytes can store an numeric digits of +999,9999 to -999,9999 digits. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. The Source Field is defined as a Packed (or COMP-3) field with 5 digits and zero decimal positions. Does ZnSO4 + H2 at high pressure reverses to Zn + H2SO4? Staging Ground Beta 1 Recap, and Reviewers needed for Beta 2, How do I convert an integer value to decimal value in COBOL. and view the COBOL source code for this numeric field conversion example. This section includes links to documents with additional information that are beyond the scope and purpose of this document. The Source Field is defined as a BINARY (or COMP) and the result fields are "USAGE IS DISPLAY" or a numeric edited field. The fewer decimal positions of the result field will be rounded because of the ROUNDED keyword on the ADD statement. but this doesnt solve my issue.:-(. For example to store an numeric field of value 987 we would required 3 +1 divided by 2 = 2 Hence an Comp-3 field of length 2 bytes can store a value of +999 to -999 as the limit. Use DECIMAL ( i + d, d) or NUMERIC ( i + d, d) No exact equivalent. COBOL Comp-3 is a binary field type that puts ("packs") two digits into each byte, using a notation called Binary Coded Decimal, or BCD. How do/should administrators estimate the cost of producing an online introductory mathematics class? I tried with below logic. i.e. rev2023.3.3.43278. What video game is Charlie playing in Poker Face S01E07? Packed Decimal. the COBOL Routine for Example-103 Browse other questions tagged, Where developers & technologists share private knowledge with coworkers, Reach developers & technologists worldwide, How to convert Decimal Values to Strings in COBOL, How Intuit democratizes AI development across teams through reusability. What is the purpose of this D-shaped ring at the base of the tongue on my hiking boots? The following is the WORKING-STORAGE definition for the result field. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. The following is an example of actual COBOL source code. If an item declared as COMP-3, the item appears in storage in packed decimal format. Calculation for length: PD= 5 bytes Length= ( (2 x PD) -1) = (2x 5) -1 = 9 bytes. The SimoTime Home Page for more information about products (including Micro Focus COBOL) and services available from Micro Focus. My code is GPL licensed, can I issue a license to have my code be distributed in a specific MIT licensed project? The next the COBOL Routine for Example-101 This first patch isn't directly applicable to all the projects, but if this is approved then I have follow-on patches for gdb and binutils. For this requirement an edited numeric result field may be used. 02 IMPME-OUT PIC S9(13)V9(2) COMP-3. In my previous tip, I introduced aspects to consider when importing data from What about WS-NUM-STR consisting of a dummy field of pic x(9) and the value field of pic 9.999? "After the incident", I started to be more careful not to trip over things. Therefore, adjustments may be needed to execute the jobs and programs when transferred to a system of a different architecture or configuration. This halves the storage requirements compared to a character, or COBOL "display", field. Alternate explanation: person doing the posting has absolutely no clue about internal formats of packed decimal and floating point numbers? Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. Also, like zoned numbers, packed numbers can have implied decimal . To convert that field in Easytrieve Plus, you'd need to write some code, a loop starting at the right, ignoring blanks. This example illustrates the following functions. UnpackNibblesToBytes: Splits a byte into its composing . For this test case the COBOL programs were compiled and executed on a Linux (Ubuntu) System using GnuCOBOL. 02 OPERADOR-OUT PIC X. database using This way we can have the decimal portion of the number separated from the full number. This test case will show the process for converting a binary numeric format to a display (or zoned-decimal) format. The following PROCEDURE DIVISION statement shows how to convert from a ZONED-DECIMAL to a DISPLAY (with SIGN TRAILING SEPARATE) numeric value'. Why do many companies reject expired SSL certificates as bugs in bug bounties? This file used to be written by a COBOL program and this one field was written using COMP-3. Numeric formats include Binary, Packed Decimal and Zoned Decimal. The Floating-Point format should wait until another time after you well understand these four. The following is the WORKING-STORAGE definition for the source field. section of this document for links that provide additional detail about numeric formats. The decimal number representation of the input packed number. We have seen how to handle EBCDIC coded files As provided this code handles the case by wrapping to zero. A suitable definition for a table to load this file is next. and view the COBOL source code for this numeric field conversion example. This allowed programmers to economize space by using half of the size for numerical P stands for Packed - in Easytrieve variable declaration. We specialize in preparing applications and the associated data that are currently residing on a single platform to be distributed across a variety of platforms. the COBOL Routine for Example-202 Converts a packed number to decimal format. It is so important that This section describes the three (3) Windows Command Files that will be used to set the environment and execute the COBOL programs that perform the sample numeric field conversions. I need to convert 10-15 different files in the differernt JCL, So I want . Assuming that the PIC X variable does have nothing but numeric digits, your best bet is a two-step move: move the PIC X to USAGE DISPLAY variable, then move the USAGE DISPLAY variable to the COMP-3 variable. Tab. You need to programmatically account for it. Category and Balance. For more information about the Hex-Dump format refer to the Hexadecimal Dump Format section of this document. The lower nibble of the last byte has 13 if the number is negative, and something else, (usually 12) if positive. Any other questions, edit your question or ask in the comments and someone will try to answer them for you. and COBOLs numeric unpacked or zoned values. Else please lemme know if that was not you were looking at. Numeric formats quite often require a conversion to another numeric format or data type prior to being printed, displayed or exported to a non-mainframe or non-COBOL environment. We have a team of individuals that understand the broad range of technologies being used in today's environments. In the wonderful world of programming there are many ways to solve a problem. As said above, UNSTRINGing and combining didnt work, but REDEFINES works! Although some programmers prefer to define numeric columns as zonedbecause it's easier to print or view the raw data in this formatthe computer works more efficiently with numbers stored in packed decimal format. For example, the number 48 can be represented into a byte as If the sample program is executed in the PC, ASCII environment the following would be displayed and written to the SYSOUT file. The compiler (cobc) translates COBOL source to executable using intermediate C, designated C compiler and linker. If you take a look at the These tables are provided for individuals that need to better understand the bit structures and differences of the encoding formats. 03 AMOUNT PIC S9(11)V99 COMP-3. The data for the above fields has the following lengths: FIELD-NAME-1: 19 about its content to see if, for example the file contains binary zeros or something Did this satellite streak past the Hubble Space Telescope so close that it was out of focus? We need some sample data in a text file to load into our previously created table. The only method to get this done is to use a File Master Reformat data set, aka. Find centralized, trusted content and collaborate around the technologies you use most. the error message is something like this "cannot move non-integer numbers to alphanumeric variable". The following is the WORKING-STORAGE definition for the result field. Hope you could figure out. Asusually, I could find out a way to achieve it! The following (nbrcvts1.sh) is the Bash Shell Script needed to run this job on a Linux or UNIX System using GnuCOBOL. COMP-3 data stored in memory higher to lower in the size of nibble (4 bits). can be converted to numeric values via File Master using COBOL copybooks. Refer to This section includes links to documents with additional information that are beyond the scope and purpose of this document. The Result field is also defined with a SIGN TRAILING SEPARATE that creates an additional byte to the field for the sign. The Source Field is defined as a Zoned Decimal field with 6 digits and 3 decimal positions. So an 7 digit numeric number would require 7 +1 = 8 / 2 = 4 byte in size. This is the "official" BCD packed format of the COBOL standard. The last digit goes in the upper nibble of the last byte. We are going to instruct the SSIS pipeline The nature of simulating nature: A Q&A with IBM Quantum researcher Dr. Jamie We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup. 02 FEC-DD PIC X(2). Explore How to do EBC to ASC Data Conversion of an 80 byte Data Structure. Most COBOL compilers hide this level of processing. For example, -1.2 looks like this in hex, the final D is the negative sign. By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. The above internal table itab is passed to the Function module GUI_DOWNLOAD and the itab data is downloaded to a text file. The following PROCEDURE DIVISION statement shows how to convert from a BINARY to a DISPLAY (with SIGN TRAILING SEPARATE) numeric value. public inbox for gccadmin@sourceware.org help / color / mirror / Atom feed * Cron <gccadmin@sourceware> sh /home/gccadmin/scripts/update_web_docs_svn @ 2018-08-07 0: . This document was created and is maintained by SimoTime Technologies. adding custom .NET code. 02 CONVAL2-OUT PIC X(8). Please let me know how to acheive this objective. Note that the IF test is critical since the original problem staement indicated that there's a very good chance the AMOUNT field is not numeric to start with. Explore For the Nozomi from Shinagawa to Osaka, say on a Saturday afternoon, would tickets/seats typically be available - or would you need to book? Here is a little different attempt at answering your questions. Processors such as the PDP-11 and VAX family of computers, the Intel microprocessors, and much of the communications and networking hardware are little-endian. Script Component has encountered an exception in user code : Project name: SC_502c8f1c0d6b40d7929990353c01db83, at System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlDecimal.ConvertToPrecScale(SqlDecimal n, Int32 precision, Int32 scale), at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Pipeline.PipelineBuffer.SetDecimal(Int32 columnIndex, Decimal value), at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Pipeline.PipelineBuffer.set_Item(Int32 columnIndex, Object value), at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Pipeline.ScriptBuffer.set_Item(Int32 ColumnIndex, Object value), at SC_502c8f1c0d6b40d7929990353c01db83.vbproj.ScriptMain.Input0_ProcessInputRow(Input0Buffer Row), at SC_502c8f1c0d6b40d7929990353c01db83.vbproj.UserComponent.Input0_ProcessInput(Input0Buffer Buffer), at SC_502c8f1c0d6b40d7929990353c01db83.vbproj.UserComponent.ProcessInput(Int32 InputID, PipelineBuffer Buffer), at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Pipeline.ScriptComponentHost.ProcessInput(Int32 inputID, PipelineBuffer buffer).