threshed gilead with threshing sledges of iron

Behold, Damascus is taken away from being a city, and it shall be a ruinous heap. because they have threshed Gilead with threshing sledges of iron. Does a snare spring up from the ground, when it has taken nothing? 2 Kings 8:12 And Hazael said, Why weepeth my lord? And great crowds gathered about him, so that he got into a boat and sat down. 3 Thus says Yahweh, "For three transgressions of Damascus and for four I will not revoke the punishment, because they threshed Gilead with threshing sledges of iron! Abijam was in league with the father of Benhadad 1 Kings 15:19. After he is created by God, he is placed in charge of the Garden of Eden. 14-15) . Seldom, said pagan experience, hath punishment with lingering foot parted with the miscreant, advancing before.. This entry was posted on The LORD was the one who gave His words to His prophet. The white wool Ezekiel 27:18, in which it traded with Tyre, implies the possession of a large outlying tract in the desert, where the sheep yield the whitest wool. Grain is threshed with farming instruments, which back then might include a heavy board, studded with sharp metal used to pull over the grain to separate it from the husk. "O thrice and four times, that is, very often, a finite number for an infinite." 5 I will p break the gate-bar of l Damascus, and cut off the inhabitants from the Valley of q Aven, 4. and him who holds the scepter from r Beth-eden; which leads to the comprise of and ingratiation of the Nations being the primary benefactor of the poor and the marginalized of our capitalistic morality. {ime fie fie tke the fhe ike fhe hours with the bible; or, the scriptures in the light of modern discovery and knowledge. 1:93. O Am). These things - Job says, worketh God twice and thrice with man, to bring back his soul from the pit Job 33:29. And great crowds gathered about him, so that he got into a boat and sat down. The fact that his chief and confidential servant whom he entrusted to seek a wife for Isaac, and who was, at one time, his heir, was a Damascene Genesis 15:2-3, implies some intimate connection of Abraham with Damascus. 2 Chronicles 21:16-17)and removed them to Edom (which is located southeast of Judah). He wept because he knew the evil that [Hazael] will do to the people of Israel. In particular, Hazael will set their fortresses on firekill their young men with the sword, dash in pieces their little ones, and rip up their pregnant women (2 Kings 8:12). It was at that time probably a subordinate power, whether on the ground of the personal eminence of Hadadezer king of Zobah, or any other. Learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause. Help us purchase electrical generators for churches. " (Cf. Restore our fortunes, OLord, like streams in the Negeb! Because they have threshed Gilead with threshing instruments of iron - The instrument, Jerome relates here, was a sort of wain, rolling on iron wheels beneath, set with teeth; so that it both threshed out the grain and bruised the straw and cut it in pieces, as food for the cattle, for lack of hay. A similar instrument, called by nearly the same name, is still in use in Syria and Egypt. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Specially shod animals walked around on the stalks until the grain separated from the hulls. And great crowds gathered about him, so that he got into a boat and sat down. Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they did not have much soil, and immediately they sprang up, since they had no depth of soil, Genesis 1:12 The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed according to their own kinds, and trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind. M . What Does the Bible Say About Overcoming? Gaza sent whole communities into exile to Edom. I will not turn away the punishment thereof. What is the Biblical Perspective on Agriculture, Why Did Jesus Talk So Much About Agriculture, Why Jesus Talked So Much About Agriculture. 4 So I will send a fire on the house of Hazael, and it shall devour the strongholds of Ben-hadad. Y The city of Damascus was called under judgment because that nation "threshed Gilead with implements of iron" (Amos 1:3) or behaved with unnecessary cruelty against a conquered . The difference is that Amos adds a further comment on the transgression: they did not remember the covenant of brotherhood.. With a small company of men he defeated a large army of Judah 2 Chronicles 24:23-24. Deeper sins bring deeper damnation at the last. And he said, The LORD will roar from Zion, and utter his voice from Jerusalem; and the habitations of the shepherds shall mourn, and the top of Carmel shall wither. Look, I tell you, lift up your eyes, and see that the fields are white for harvest.Job 1:14 And there came a messenger to Job and said, The oxen were plowing and the donkeys feeding beside them,1 Corinthians 15:38-39 But God gives it a body as he has chosen, and to each kind of seed its own body. They are carried along the precipitous banks of the ravine, being in some places tunnelled in the solid rock. with threshing sledges of iron. The fourth transgression of these pagan nations is alone mentioned. And behold, your sheaves gathered around it and bowed down to my sheaf.1 Kings 5:11 While Solomon gave Hiram 20,000 cors of wheat as food for his household, and 20,000 cors of beaten oil. Throughout that whole beautiful tract, including 2 12 degrees of latitude, Hazael had carried on his war of extermination into every peaceful village and home, sparing neither the living nor the unborn. For three transgressions of Damascus, and for four. The consequences, however, are essentially the samefire will burn destroy the cities/citadels (1:7, 10, 12). The house of Hazael referred to any of the descendants of Hazael, including Ben-hadad. Am I? . Benhadad promised to restore the cities which his father had taken from Israel, and to make an Israel-quarter in Damascus 1 Kings 20:34. (LogOut/ 16:9). f tribe of Manasseh returned to go into the country of Gilead, to the land of their possessions Joshua 22:9. You shall do likewise with your vineyard, and with your olive orchard.Leviticus 19:23-25 When you come into the land and plant any kind of tree for food, then you shall regard its fruit as forbidden. It was the "metropolis" of Syria, Isaiah 7:8; and so Pliny calls it, "Damascus of Syria". For three transgressions of Damascus, and for four - These expressions of three and four, so often repeated in this chapter, mean repetition, abundance, and any thing that goes towards excess. Thus the Church and members of the community of the Father sotra kinda Dont relate to the Process of the Hardened Hart and the compounded consequences of the deceitfulness of being habitually unfaithful in the little ways which bring about the cruelty of Amoss day. On the words, O terque quaterque, Servius makes this remark, "Hoc est saepias; finitus numerous pro infinito." , Job 39:10 Can you bind him in the furrow with ropes, or will he harrow the valleys after you?1 Samuel 6:7 Now then, take and prepare a new cart and two milk cows on which there has never come a yoke, and yoke the cows to the cart, but take their calves home, away from them.Ecclesiastes 11:4-6 He who observes the wind will not sow, and he who regards the clouds will not reap. Soul-murder is worse than physical murder, and requires more devilish art. They cover an area at last 25 (or 30) miles in circuit, and make the environs an earthly Paradise. Whence the Arabs said, If there is a garden of Eden on earth, it is Damascus; and if in heaven, Damascus is like it on earth. But this its beauty was also its strength. 24:22) with stone or metal teeth embedded in the bottom side were dragged over the grain by these animals. 1 Kings 9:13the brotherhood between Hiram of Tyre and Solomon of Israel). You shall not sow your field or prune your vineyard. Article Images Copyright 2023 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. Amos 1 contains a brief historical account on the prophetic ministry of Amos, providing the reader with the date of Amoss ministry and how the LORD has called him to minister to Israel. Theme: Contempt by Vault9. Not the ethics and the morality of the fathers community. An example of Damascuss war against Israel is found in 2 Kings 10 where Hazael [the king of Damascus] defeated them throughout the territory of Israel: from the Jordan eastward, all the land of Gilead, the Gadites and the Reubenites and the Manassites, from Aroer, which is by the valley of the Arnon, even Gilead and Bashan (2 Kgs. Philistia removed Judeans who lived in the lush farmland of the Judean foothills to the desert regions of Edom (cf. What is the meaning of the symbolism in Amos? He indeed bears fruit and yields, in one case a hundredfold, in another sixty, and in another thirty., Genesis 37:7 Behold, we were binding sheaves in the field, and behold, my sheaf arose and stood upright. The LORD says: I will not relent from punishing Damascus for three crimes, even four, because they threshed Gilead with iron sledges. This should not be too surprising because most of Jesus listeners were farmers themselves or, at least, very familiar with farming. D Q Salem Media Group. Assyrian chronicles relate only Assyrian victories. Genesis 1:11 says, Then God said, Let the land produce vegetation:seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds. And it was so. 2 Kings 10:32,33 In those days the LORD began to cut Israel short: and Hazael smote them in all the coasts of Israel; . He shall not exact it of his neighbor, his brother, because theLords release has been proclaimed. He, having carried war against David, king of Judaea, and disputed with him in many battles, and that finally at the Euaphrates where he was defeated, had the character of a most eminent king for prowess and valor. Chelub, the brother of Shuhah, fathered Mehir, who fathered Eshton. Where the water of one is diffusing life and verdure over the surface, another branch is collecting a new supply. In former days these extended over the whole plain to the lakes, thus irrigating the fields and gardens in every part of it., Damascus then was, of old, famed for its beauty. 3 This is what the LORD says: "For three sins of Damascus, even for four, I will not relent. And God saw that it was good. The Bible says a lot about agriculture and farming. I will break the gate bars of Damascus, and cut off the inhabitants from the Valley of Aven, and the one who holds the scepter . Weeds have to be removed, the land watered, and fertilizer added. As a result of God breaking the gate bar of Damascus, the people of Aram would go exiled to Kir. Here in Amos, we see that the people of Damascus rebelled against the LORD because they threshed Gilead with implements of sharp iron. Does he continually open and harrow his ground?Ecclesiastes 5:9 But this is gain for a land in every way: a king committed to cultivated fields., Hosea 10:12 Sow for yourselves righteousness; reap steadfast love; break up your fallow ground, for it is the time to seek theLord, that he may come and rain righteousness upon you.Micah 4:1-4 It shall come to pass in the latter days that the mountain of the house of theLordshall be established as the highest of the mountains, and it shall be lifted up above the hills; and peoples shall flow to it, and many nations shall come, and say: Come, let us go up to the mountain of theLord, to the house of the God of Jacob, that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths. For out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of theLordfrom Jerusalem. Copyright 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Get our Question of the Week delivered right to your inbox! : The waters of the river were spread over the surface of the soil in the fields and gardens; underneath, other canals were tunnelled to collect the superfluous water which percolates the soil, or from little fountains and springs below. Rezon renewed, throughout the later part of Solomons reign, the aggression of Hadad. In the days of Jehu, Hazael smote them in all the coasts of Israel from Jordan eastward; all the land of Gilead, the Gadites and the Reubenites and the Manassites, from Arorer which is by the River Arnon, even Gilead and Bashan 2 Kings 10:32-33; in those of Jehoahaz, Jehus son, he oppressed them, neither did he leave of the people to Jehoahaz but fifty horsemen and ten chariots, and ten thousand footmen, for the king of Syria had destroyed them, and had made them like the dust by threshing 2 Kings 13:7. [4] So I will send a fire upon the house of Haz'ael, and it shall devour the strongholds of Ben-ha'dad. "For three transgressions of Damascus, and for four, I will not revoke the punishment; because they have threshed Gilead with threshing sledges of iron. Weeds grow everywhere and all of the time. Let the nations who have ears to hear, hear what the Spirit through Amos says to the nations. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson. The advantage of its site doubtless occastoned its early choice. , Proverbs 12:11 Whoever works his land will have plenty of bread, but he who follows worthless pursuits lacks sense.Isaiah 65:22-24 They shall not build and another inhabit; they shall not plant and another eat; for like the days of a tree shall the days of my people be, and my chosen shall long enjoy the work of their hands. All Scripture quotations, unless otherwise indicated, are taken from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. 2:694. The city named Kir was the place where the Arameans originally lived (Amos 9:7), although its precise location is unknown. Jehoiada got for him two wives, and he had sons and daughters. In all that he does, he prospers.Hosea 6:3 Let us know; let us press on to know theLord; his going out is sure as the dawn; he will come to us as the showers, as the spring rains that water the earth.Isaiah 5:24 Therefore, as the tongue of fire devours the stubble, and as dry grass sinks down in the flame, so their root will be as rottenness, and their blossom go up like dust; for they have rejected the law of theLordof hosts, and have despised the word of the Holy One of Israel., Luke 12:18 And he said, I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.Hosea 12:11 If there is iniquity in Gilead, they shall surely come to nothing: in Gilgal they sacrifice bulls; their altars also are like stone heaps on the furrows of the field.2 Corinthians 9:6 The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.Isaiah 32:2 Each will be like a hiding place from the wind, a shelter from the storm, like streams of water in a dry place, like the shade of a great rock in a weary land., Ruth 2:15 When she rose to glean, Boaz instructed his young men, saying, Let her glean even among the sheaves, and do not reproach her.Jeremiah 4:11 At that time it will be said to this people and to Jerusalem, A hot wind from the bare heights in the desert toward the daughter of my people, not to winnow or cleanse,Jeremiah 9:22 Speak: Thus declares theLord, The dead bodies of men shall fall like dung upon the open field, like sheaves after the reaper, and none shall gather them.Isaiah 30:25 And on every lofty mountain and every high hill there will be brooks running with water, in the day of the great slaughter, when the towers fall., Job 29:23 They waited for me as for the rain, and they opened their mouths as for the spring rain.Leviticus 25:1-7 TheLordspoke to Moses on Mount Sinai, saying, Speak to the people of Israel and say to them, When you come into the land that I give you, the land shall keep a Sabbath to theLord.