He would beat me for watching television, for lookin at him funny, for looking out the window watching other kids play. James reportedly did it because he was distraught that Ondrea had left him and also taken their son with her. My mother forgave my father He came back into my life and made amends for a lot of things by helping to guide me with my music career early on, and kinda helping me in that area (sic). As a young boy growing up in New York City LL witnessed a few traumatic events that he carried with him into his adulthood. According to the Chicago Tribune, "[as] a kid growing up middle class and Catholic in Queens, life for LL was heart-breaking. In January 2012, the pair released the track "Super Baller" as a free download to celebrate the New York Giants Super Bowl victory. As a result LL fired James and hired a new manager. Classic albums including Bigger and Deffer and Mama Said Knock You Out are well represented here. It was just a power trip.". At the age of four, he saw his mother and grandfather shot by his own father. Rapper, actor, author and entrepreneur LL Cool J was rap music's first big solo star. Born James Todd Smith on 14th January, 1968 in Bay Shore, Long Island, New York, United States, he is famous for Ladies Love Cool James.. LL Cool J came out and said that Jay and LL Cool J stand for Jackson. Yet, the scars never fully healed. Pl. Although LL Cool J may have a perfect life with his wife of 25 years, he has experienced a few bumps on the ride to a successful life. [24], Radio was released to critical acclaim, both for production innovation and LL's powerful rap. The album's success also helped in contributing to Rick Rubin's credibility and repertoire as a record producer. During an interview that the actor had with Oprah Winfrey, the host asked if such a terrible incident had left a scar in him. Roscoe beat me for just about anything. Both relatives survived their injuries, and the NCIS: Los Angeles star insists he has since made peace with his dad even though he was initially reluctant to allow him back into his life. Roscoe would flog him at any given opportunity, and the actor described that time in his life as "hell." You passed away. In 1990, LL released Mama Said Knock You Out, his fourth studio album. Rock the Bells Records was also responsible for the Deep Blue Sea soundtrack for the 1999 movie of the same name. [48], On February 8, 2013, it was announced that the title of LL's upcoming album would be changed from Authentic Hip-Hop to Authentic with a new release date of April 30, 2013. Who are LL Cool J parents? "[18] This was at the same time that NYU student Rick Rubin and promoter-manager Russell Simmons founded the then-independent Def Jam label. Both relatives survived their injuries, and the NCIS: Los Angeles star insists he has since made peace with his dad even though he was initially reluctant to allow him back into his life. When he was a young boy, LL Cool J's father, James Nyunya, shot his father-in-law and his ex-wife, LL's mother, in the back while they were going through a divorce. LL Cool J on February 9, 2019 in Beverly Hills, California | Source: Getty Images. [29] By 1989, the album had earned platinum status from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), with sales exceeding one million copies; it had previously earned a gold certification in the United States on April 14, 1986. 6 on the Billboard 200 and was LL Cool J's second #1 R&B Album where it spent five weeks. At this point, the entertainer decided to stick by her unconditionally, putting up a positive front, and even offered to give her a bone marrow. According to her, they put God first in their marriage, made many compromises, have respect, and show unwavering support to each other. He and co-star Jamie Foxx allegedly got into a real fistfight while filming a fight scene. The 'NCIS: Los Angeles' star and his mother Ondrea sat down with ET to share their fondest (and most embarrassing) memories of LL's upbringing. 00:00. LL was a young boy growing up in New York when his parents separated in 1972. LL Cool J is one of the most respected rappers in the game but even he has endured his fair share of obstacles. The series debuted in autumn of 2009, but the characters were introduced in an April 2009 crossover episode on the parent show. Before then, they were lovers with an unsettling relationship plagued by the rapper's familiarity with women and his flirtatious attitude. . I was doing all kinds of wild things by then and getting in all kinds of trouble.. Hed even pull me out of the shower to get a beating. As a young boy growing up in New York City LL witnessed a few traumatic events that he carried with him into his adulthood. LL Cool J also dealt with a friend's betrayal and ruthless accountants that siphoned his money. Decades later LL sat down with Oprah Winfrey during a segment on Oprahs Next Chapter to discuss how he coped with Roscoes constant abuse and its sad to hear that he had to become so strong at such a young age. My mother forgave my father He came back into my life and made amends for a lot of things by helping to guide me with my music career early on, and kinda helping me in that area (sic). Before the separation was finalized, however, things ended up getting violent. He didnt care how he beat me or with what . news.AmoMama.com does not support or promote any kind of violence, self-harm, or abusive behavior. Unlike what many people might believe, LL Cool Js children are not spoiled as he has made sure to instill values in them, as well as the notion of working hard for what they want to achieve in life. 00:00. In this neighborhood, the kids grow up in rap. LL Cool J worked behind the scenes with the mid-1980s hip-hop sportswear line TROOP. Though he was beginning to act out in the aftermath of the abuse by the age of 16 LL found his calling during the Golden Age of Hip Hop as one of the top emcees of the time. Despite commercial appeal, the album was often criticized by the hip-hop community as being too commercial and materialistic, and for focusing too much on love ballads. [56], In March 2016, LL announced his retirement on social media, but quickly walked back his announcement and indicated that a new album was on the way. The rapper was surrounded by drugs, gangsterism, crime, all the vices that could have limited his progress. Although he initially refused, he changed his mind after looking at how beautiful Simone was. They met during their teenage years and dated for eight years before exchanging their marriage vows. iloveoldschoolmusic.com. And LL was the one who discovered . He didnt need a good reason. The album reached platinum status. Eventually Ondrea left Roscoe but after all of the trauma LL suffered it was too little too late. LL Cool J was also the host of Lip Sync Battle on Paramount Network. The toddler's 25-year-old father was hit in the head and his 22-year-old mother in the leg. LL Cool J launched a clothing line (called "Todd Smith"). [38] Released in 1989, the album was a commercial success, with several charting singles ("Going Back to Cali", which had originally been released on the 1987 movie soundtrack Less than Zero, "I'm That Type of Guy", "Big Ole Butt", and "One Shot at Love"). [62], LL hosted the 2022 iHeartRadio Music Awards on March 22, 2022. Shortly after that, they started dating, and they married in 1995. [94], The emerging new-school scene was initially characterized by drum machine-led minimalism, often tinged with elements of rock, as well as boasts about rapping delivered in an aggressive, self-assertive style. [5][6], A two-time Grammy Award winner, LL Cool J is known for hip hop songs such as "Going Back to Cali", "I'm Bad", "The Boomin' System", "Rock the Bells", and "Mama Said Knock You Out", as well as R&B hits such as "Doin' It", "I Need Love", "Around the Way Girl" and "Hey Lover". Track 9 on Phenomenon. Exception: This awkward piece of wonky cheese. window._taboola = window._taboola || []; placement: 'Right Rail Thumbnails', *In his 1997 biography I Make My Own Rules,. The album's immense success propelled Mama Said Knock You Out to be LL's top selling album of his career (as of 2002) and solidified his status as a hip-hop icon. His upbringing, though, was quite traumatic. LL also recorded a rap solo for Michael Jackson's demo of "Serious Effect" that remains unreleased but leaked online[40]. Advertisement LL Cool J is a legendary rapper who has recorded over nine albums in the last 15 years and won many awards, including three Grammys. We raise awareness about these issues to help potential victims seek professional counseling and prevent anyone from getting hurt. His second book was the children-oriented book called And The Winner Is published in 2002. His second book was the children-oriented book called And The Winner Is. With the Rock The Bells label, he had artists such as AMyth,[89] Smokeman, Natice, Chantel Jones and Simone Starks. LL Cool J explained that late one night, he woke up to the sound of horrible moan. He went to check what had happened and found that James had shot Ondrea in the back. "It was a relative, but it wasn't any of my father's brothers.". The song contains LL Cool J rapping over the instrumental to Maino's "Hi Hater". [28] Rapper/actor LL Cool J has forgiven his dad for shooting his mother and grandfather and leaving them for dead when he was only four years old. After they recovered from their injuries,. I watched Behind the Music of LL Cool J the other day :) Dante Boyles MUS 211 LL Cool J Cultural Analysis Paper LL Cool J has done a lot in the hip-hop industry and has also branched out to the entertainment business as well. "[55], On January 21, 2016, LL received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. My father made a massive blunder, but he also did a lot of things right, he said. Roscoe beat me for just about anything. In September 2009, LL Cool J released a song about the NCIS TV series. He started rapping aged nine, and music provided a way to escape the suffering he endured. Eventually, LL's father James came back into his life and helped him out in the early stages of his budding rap career. [106] In a February 10, 2012 televised interview with CNN host Piers Morgan, LL Cool J expressed sympathy for President Barack Obama and ascribed negative impressions of his leadership to Republican obstruction designed to "make it look like you have a coordination problem." [72] During the next two years, LL Cool J appeared in Rollerball,[73] Deliver Us from Eva,[74] S.W.A.T.,[75] and Mindhunters. Later, LL's mom was instramental in getting her son to reconcile with his father. When he was very young his parents got a divorce and it angered his biological father, James, so much that he shot both LL's mother and grandfather with a shotgun. [91], In March 2015, LL Cool J also appeared in an introduction to WrestleMania 31. The hip-hop Icon LL Cool J opened up about his rough childhood and the abusive nature of his stepdad and his biological father who he claimed shot his mother. It eventually reached 1,500,000 copies sold in the US.[30]. Mark Summers for Rolling . LL Cool J won his first Grammy Award for Best Rap Solo Performance for his song "Mama Said Knock You Out" at the 1992 Grammy Awards. This style would serve as one of Rubin's production trademarks and would have a great impact on future hip-hop productions. After labeling his family as very interesting, he revealed one of the most shocking aspects of the entire situation: LL Cool Js mother forgave his father for shooting her in the back. [8] In 2021, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with an award for Musical Excellence. The new boyfriend was not a father figure to him at all and was abusive. My father made a massive blunder, but he also did a lot of things right.. His father shot his mother and grandfather with a 12-gauge . James Todd Smith (born January 14, 1968), better known by his stage name LL Cool J (short for Ladies Love Cool James), is an American rapper, record producer. They shot the video for "Control Myself" on January 2, 2006, at Sony Studios, New York. [17] Smith later discussed his search for a label, stating "I sent my demo to many different companies, but it was Def Jam where I found my home. [10], In 2002, LL Cool J supported George Pataki's bid for a third term as Governor of New York. Although LL Cool J, born James Todd Smith, is an accomplished entertainer, appearing on music charts, starring on TV and movies, and even hosting shows, he had a rough start in life. Awards. LL Cool J combined acting with his rap career; his acting debut was in 1985's "Krush Groove." target_type: 'mix' Production came from Timbaland, 7 Aurelius, R. Kelly, and others. But there is an intriguing story behind the heart-melting and powerful duo. Radio, along with Raising Hell (1986) and Licensed to Ill (1986), would form a trilogy of New York City-based, Rubin-helmed albums that helped to diversify hip-hop. He didnt need a good reason. 2016 LL Cool J was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame. 4 on the Billboard charts. He toured with Janet Jackson on her Rock Witchu tour, only playing in Los Angeles, Chicago, Toronto, and Kansas City. Early life and family. We believe that every person's story is important as it provides our community with an opportunity to feel a sense of belonging, share their hopes and dreams. "[23] LL's debut single sold over 100,000 copies and helped establish both Def Jam as a label and Smith as a rapper. 7 on the Hip-Hop and R&B singles chart, and No. [63][64], While LL Cool J first appeared as a rapper in the movie Krush Groove (performing "I Can't Live Without My Radio"),[65] his first acting part was a small role in a high school football movie called Wildcats. Tamron Hall Talks About Her Live-In Nanny and the Joy Raising NBA Comes for Ja Morant After He Flashes Gun in Nightclub Jon Jones Set for UFC Return After Body Transformation | WATCH. 3 on the Billboard's Pop albums chart. LL Cool J has been nominated six times for induction into The Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame. [25] Both relatives survived their injuries, and the NCIS: Los Angeles star insists he has since made peace with his dad even though he was initially reluctant to allow him back into his life. In July 2006, LL Cool J announced details about his final album with Def Jam Recordings, the only label he has ever been signed to. In December 1996 his loose cover of the Rufus and Chaka Khan song "Ain't Nobody" was included on the Beavis and Butt-Head Do America soundtrack & released as a single. Decades later LL sat down with Oprah Winfrey during a segment on Oprahs Next Chapter to discuss how he coped with Roscoes constant abuse and its sad to hear that he had to become so strong at such a young age. [92], With the breakthrough success of his hit single "I Need a Beat" and the Radio LP, LL Cool J became an early hip-hop act to achieve mainstream success along with Kurtis Blow and Run-DMC. This marked the beginning of a creative collaboration between the rap and DJ superstars. [53], In October 2014, LL announced that his 14th studio album would be called G.O.A.T. NBA Comes for Ja Morant After He Flashes Gun in Nightclub Queen Latifah & Monie Love Reunite Lizzo Stops Show to Give Chris Rock Jokes Enjoying Watching Will Smith Get Whipped in Emancipation + Nivea, Tamar Braxton, Evelyn Lozada & More | PicsVideos, The Moment Tamar & Toni Learn Chaka Khan Sings Reading Rainbow Theme Yung Miami is About Self-love in 2023 & More | PicsVideos, Tatyana Ali Says New Bel-Air Role is Full Circle Moment Adrienne Bailon Covers Harpers Bazaar & More | PicsVideos, CeCe Winans Says Whitney Houstons Im Every Woman is Demonic + Joe Bully Budden Talks BS About Michael B. Jordan & More | PicsVideos, City of Houston, Residents Honored for National Water Challenge. The two took part in an interview with Carson Daly where they discussed their partnership. These elements contrasted sharply with the 1970s P-Funk and disco-influenced outfits, live bands, synthesizers and party rhymes of acts prevalent in 1984, rendering them old school. He started rapping when he was 9 years of age, his biggest influencers were the sugarhill gang and the treacherous tree. This page was last edited on 2 March 2023, at 21:38. Although his childhood was a difficult time in his life, LL Cool J chose to forgive his father for what had happened before. While speaking to Oprah, the jewelry maker explained that they have an awesome marriage because of the sacrifices and love they share. Decades later LL sat down with Oprah Winfrey during a segment on Oprahs Next Chapter to discuss how he coped with Roscoes constant abuse and its sad to hear that he had to become so strong at such a young age. See more ideas about ll cool j, sexy men, fine black men. LL Cool J was born James Todd Smith on January 14, 1968 in Bay Shore, New York. According to Hollywood.com; Truck driver James Nunya shot his father-in-law Eugene in the stomach and estranged wife Ondrea in the back out of frustration over the couples divorce in 1972, when the Grammy winner and awards host was just a young boy. Hed even pull me out of the shower to get a beating. To this day, there are limited details on the incident, but witnesses say it was a . We humbly honor the old school soul music era and will keep pushing forward to keep it alive. LL Cool J's tenth album The DEFinition was released on August 31, 2004. Eventually, LLs father James came back into his life and helped him out in the early stages of his budding rap career. Jul 19, 2021 09:00 P.M. Although both survived James saw them covered in blood. James Todd Smith (born January 14, 1968), known professionally as LL Cool J (short for Ladies Love Cool James), is an American rapper, songwriter, record producer, and actor. He came to the top with his single "I Want a Beat" and his presentation studio collection, Radio, in 1985. [8], In 2021, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with an award for Musical Excellence. Released November 18, 1985, on Def Jam Recordings in the United States,[26] Radio earned a significant amount of commercial success and sales for a hip hop record at the time. LL Cool J has been in a relationship with Kidada Jones (1992 - 1994).. LL Cool J is rumoured to have hooked up with Karrine Steffans (2007), Pilar Sanders (1996) and Gabrielle Union.. About.